How to start your own support group
Want to get involved in the diabetes community? Here’s what you can do.
5 Steps to starting your own support group:
If you don’t have a support group in your area and you want to start one, here’s what you need to do!
- Spread the word: tell everyone you know with diabetes in your area, post on our Facebook page and blog, and put up notices in the community and even in the local newspaper.
- Find a suitable space that you can hold the meetings (for free).
- Find a diabetes educator or a clinic sister who can be at each meeting to answer questions.
- Get some diabetic-friendly snacks and free Sweet Life magazines.
- Meet once a month to support each another.
And finally, educate others too! Sometimes getting involved is as easy as being honest about diabetes.
Let us know (in the comments) if you’ve started a support group, and we’ll spread the word on the Diabetic South Africans Facebook page.